Minutes of the ICA Meeting on February 12, 2009
Officers: President Christine Coers-Mitchell, Vice President William Archer, Treasurer Rupert Prince, Secretary Mary Piper
Directors: Barb Christopher, Nathan Corser, Susan Dunn, Dean Gisvold, Susan Hathaway-Marxer, Jeff Jones, Nikki Johnston, Michela McMahon, Jason Messer, Brad Perkins, Josh Plager, Rachel Studer
Maiya Martin, Charlotte Uris
Community Members Present: Jimmie St. Arnold, Pam Lindholm Levy, Donna Wax, Chris Allen, Ann Jackson, Eric Goranson
Guests: Officer Amanda McMillan, Lee Perlman, Jen Schoenbeck, Deborah Schwison
President Christine Coers-Mitchell called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm, at Irvington Elementary School.
2, Portland Police Bureau
Officer Amanda McMillan will attend the ICA meetings every other month. She was asked about gang activities in Irvington. She said there has been none. Complaints have been made about drug sales but they are difficult to catch. She suggested that residents who see multiple instances to report car licenses and physical descriptions to the police. She said there have been instances of squatters moving into foreclosed houses.
The Minutes were approved as corrected by Dean Gisvold and Susan Hathaway-Marxer and are posted on the web site.
2. Treasurer Report
Questions were raised about the ICA budget in that it did not reflect modifications voted on during the current fiscal year. The Treasurer was asked to show these amounts on a revised report. Jeff Jones asked that a correction be made to the amount allocated for the Parks Committee: balance forward should be $1,741.00. Jeff and Rupert were asked to look at past Minutes to confirm the Parks Committee balance.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that the Treasurer develop a report that includes supplemental funds approved by the Board.
3. Land Use Issues
We have heard that he proposed site of the Irvington Squire is for sale.
The four condo units on NE 10th are ready for pre-sale. Tanzamook is one of a dozen projects to be featured on a public tour scheduled for February 21.
There has been no further communication regarding the ICA’s position on streetcar expansion.
The Portland Plan’s citizen committee has not been appointed.
A request for a liquor license for the new NE 25th/Broadway food mart has been opposed by the Land Use Committee and neighbors.
The Committee has received a Type II proposal for the enlargement of an existing building at 2525 NE Broadway. Several trees will probably be lost and the Land Use Committee will review and respond to this project.
The ICA Land Use Committee will meet with adjoining Neighborhood Associations in April at a Land-Use forum.
Concerning the possible renaming of Broadway, Grand, or NE 39th to honor Cesar Chavez, petitions have been submitted to the City and it will be determined if all requirements have been met. Citizens have until March 30 to make comments. The proposal will go to the Planning Commission and then City Council. The NE Broadway business association will meet February 18.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that the ICA opposes the renaming of Broadway. Motion approved with 14 yea, 2 nay. It was noted that the Broadway Bridge (owned by County) would not be renamed. There was discussion as to whether the ICA supported one of the other streets.
The next meeting of the Land Use Committee is scheduled for Thursday, February 26, at 7:00 in rooms C & D at Westminster Church.
4. Citizen Concern about infill houses
Eric Goranson asked to speak to the Board about his and neighbors’ opposition to an infill house proposed at 22nd & Fremont. The proposed structure is being built as a rental next to an existing house on one 75X100 lot. Eric asked if anything could be done to stop this structure. The City has approved this infill and it meets the zoning classification. There was consensus that there is no grounds for opposition except politically.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that the Board opposes this proposed infill and that the President send a letter to the City and developer. Motion approved unanimously.
4. Irving Park
Jeff Jones provided an update on funding the new play structure at Irving Park. The Parks Department is unable to increase their funding and requests that the community provide $6,000. Jeff has requested support from neighboring associations and the public. $1,839 has been donated thus far. Jeff suggests the Parks Committee’s balance of $1,741 be added to this effort leaving a balance of about $2500 to be covered by the ICA Board.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that the ICA allocate up to $3,000 for additional costs to install new play equipment in Irving Park. Motion approved unanimously.
This year’s Movie in the Park is scheduled for the third week in August.
5. Board Vacancies
Nikki Johnston, Nominating Committee, presented a slate of candidates to fill two Board vacancies until the June 2009 Annual Meeting. The candidates are Pam Lindholm Levy and Chris Allen.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that Pam Lindholm Levy and Chris Allen fill two vacancies on the ICA Board. Motion approved unanimously.
6. Mural Proposal
Jen Schoenbeck and Deborah Schwison are working on a proposed mural at NE 7th and Hancock on a 100 foot long blank wall that gets “tagged” daily. The building houses a kidney dialysis facility. Jen is with “Mike’s Program,” an organization that supports healthy kidneys. A professional artist will design the mural and youth from an alternative high school will assist in its painting. The Regional Arts Council will be involved. Painting will start in July. A letter of support from the ICA will be helpful.
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that the ICA send a letter in support of the mural. Motion approved unanimously.
7. Home Tour
Jimmie St. Arnold provided an update on the 2009 Home Tour. A resource guide will be inserted in the middle of the tour book. The committee is seeking listings at $25 or $35 and will be asking Board members for referrals.
A sub-committee is planning to upgrade/update the web-site this summer. Ann Jackson presented their proposal to upgrade the ICA’s website as well. The sub-committee proposes some immediate “fixes” and long term upgrades to the systems. [The committee’s recommendations are available on request from the ICA Secretary.]
IT WAS MOVED and seconded that $1,000 be allocated from contingency funds to begin the upgrading of the web sites. Motion approved unanimously.
8. Irvington School
Nathan Corser said that the district is faced with serious budget concerns. He reported the red oak on the school grounds had become unstable and was removed. The cherry trees in front of the school need to be replaced.
Meeting adjourned 9:00 pm