What is Scrap Saturday?
Recycling metal is a win-win situation, providing a service to members of Augustana and our northeast Portland neighbors; caring for creation by recycling items for reclaimed use; and ridding one’s home, yard and outbuildings of unwanted clutter.
How Does it Work?
You may drop off accepted items at the church on Saturday, April 8 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. If you have items that are too large or cumbersome to transport or don’t have an appropriate vehicle to transport, you may arrange to have those picked up at your home by one of our volunteers. Contact Marty Bell at email@example.com or 360-798-2900 to arrange a pick-up.
What Items Will Be Accepted?
Some common household items which are accepted include but are not limited to:
- Brass fixtures and knick-knacks
- Aluminum foil
- Aluminum siding, including gutters and downspouts
- Christmas lights (it’s the copper in the wiring)
- Insulated and non-insulated aluminum and copper wire
- Screen doors/aluminum window frames (no glass)
- Cast aluminum barbecues
- Steel barbecues
- Cast iron
- Plumbing pipe, valves and connections
- Aluminum pots and pans
- Computer desktops and laptops
- Computer components – motherboards/keyboards, hard drives
- Car batteries
- Household appliances (washers/dryers/stoves/hot water heaters)
- Old bicycles
- File cabinets
- Paint cans (must be empty and dry)
- Lawn mowers
- Soda and beer cans (to be donated to the Youth)
- Tire rims
Items Not Accepted: Vehicles or major component parts from vehicles (i.e.) body parts and frames; "burnt" copper wire, beer kegs, televisions, refrigerators, AC units, or freezers in any condition.
If you have questions about Scrap Saturday or whether an item is or is not recyclable, please contact Marty Bell (360-798-2900 or firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also go to http://www.ehrecycling.com for more detailed information.
Please share with family, friends and neighbors. See you on April 8!